Thursday, February 3, 2011

Where do ideas come from?

Ok so I'm sitting in the office and have a deadline to beat. I am busy biting my nails trying to figure out how in the world I am going to get my brain functioning. I need that idea but its not checking in, then wham...my mind starts cranking out thoughts. So what inspired it?

Creatives have been classified amongst the weirdest guys around. That's why you find most of us staring into space or talking to ourselves. One myth that I would like to kill is that we do not get the best ideas while under the influence of drugs, alcohol or even licking those amazonian toads that have hallucinogens. In fact most of the time you will sober up and discovered that what you thought was brilliant after that shot of tequila was complete bio-gas in the morning.

What I have discovered is that the environment you work under heavily influences your mind flow. Its varies from creative to creative. That's why if you walk into most top notch agencies in Kenya you will find creative spaces laden with interesting architecture, bean bags, aquariums and even fully stocked bars.

Now, here is my confession. I find that my best ideas check in when I am in the Loo doing a nice long relaxing Number 2. I don't know what it is, but there is a certain feeling of deep relief, undisturbed concentration and peace when sitting down in a toilet. In fact most of the time I will jot down the ideas I get on my phone. It may sound weird but hey, it works for me. I have never tried it in a pit latrine in shags because the stress levels are pretty high considering that you can measure the distance of the latrine from when you launch your missile to when you hear the distant sound of the thud and the flies.

So fellow creatives, next time you are "pressed" for an idea, try thinking out of the box from inside the "box".

But hey, that's just my opinion.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ted man, i used to love ur show back in the day with Munene and Ngatia. Running a blog thot you d have a look. http://pangangamtaa.blogspot.com/2011/01/bible-quips.html

    ReplyDelete