Tuesday, February 8, 2011

USE ME, I'M FAMOUS!

After my last post, I happened to have a conversation with a rather mad, loud and extremely talented Senior Art Director friend of mine who we shall not name Arnold Mwashumbe. He pointed out to me that my post on mobile providers was rather unfair and emotional not looking at the points they have contributed to changing the landscape of ad world in +254. Then my credit ishad.

It then hit me that since the entry of mobile operators, good and really big things have happened. Apart from making BT laugh all the way to the bank, finally Kenyan artistic talent have started getting fair dues.

Before Safcom, R-kelly tel and Orange checked in, Kenyan artists were swindled left right centre by companies looking to make the best of their talent and not reciprocating. Check in the big boys and kina the likes of nameless, jua kali, amani and my boi ken wa maria started making very good paper.

This has changed the scene for those who sign model release forms nowadays. Its a far cry from the days when clients would say. "But the guy is just standing there or saying something for a few seconds, why should we pay him so much?" Total and complete wivu for not pursuing their own talents.

You see ad land feeds off and feeds other industries. Local talent has started making a living from advertising endorsement deals. It had to take real professional thinking to make this change in a country where music greats have sadly passed away penny less.

Advertisers are even creating overnight celebs like Mr. Marangi who I am sure can now command better fees as Mcs or comedy acts.Man eat man mentality is beginning to die off and even modelling agencies are starting to become businesses worth giving a thought.

So all ye holders of my sms credit when it comes to raising the bar on talent, I give you R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Hey, that's just my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment