Thursday, February 10, 2011

I lurrrrv this game

The season of love is here and with it comes all the trimmings. Red events, red ads, red this, red that. Now is the time for most advertisers to capitalize and make a buck from cupid. Now is also the time that creatives have to think more out of the box. Why? Well valentines is filled with advertising clichés.
Yesterday though, when I opened the papers I was pleasantly surprised by one Safaricom. A green cut out love heart insert. What made it cooler was there were no apologies with the boldness of the headline, “what’s the color of love”.
It seems that my target of the week – mobile operators, have styled up. I love it when I see refreshing different thinking that makes the competition go oooooohh ahhhhhh and throws them a challenge to take advertising to the next level. So Joanna and the boys, kudos.
Speaking of waiyaki way, it raises another point. The old guru of ad land David Ogilvy once said “clients don’t care how much you know, they want to know how much you care”. Red sky the Safaricom agency cares about the bucks they make from Safaricom so much that they moved the Safaricom agency team to offices right across the road from Safaricom. Now apart from the Creatives and Media chics reveling over the prospects of gout at Njugunas I am sure the clients have given them golden stars.
The only beef I have with the pull out is that it comes with pressure for us males.
Wife:                     Babes, did you see the Valentines Safcom ad?
Husband:             (In denial) Safcom? Valentines ad? Ehhhh Nope!
Wife:                     I have it right here. See the phones, see!
But hey, that’s just my opinion.

1 comment: