Tuesday, February 1, 2011

How kabumbu got its groove back

Last weekend I happened to drive past Nyayo Stadium. I couldn't help but notice waves of guys and gals in green Gor MAhia branded shirts. Turn the clock back and I remember watching Sofapaka play and couldn't help but notice their well coordinated bevy of beautiful cheer leaders. So what brought the passion for local soccer back?

The answer is social media. You see, back in my days of primo and seco this "barbie" used to walk from GPO to Nyayo Stadium to watch matches at a time when soccer was considered uncool and deeply "ghetto". Check in facebook and it started seeming like a good and out of the boxishly cool idea to join a local team fan page.

Is this advertising at work? Most definitely. For a country ranked close to Papua New Guineas scrabble team internationally, social media has catapulted a sense of belonging to local teams thereby making them brands. You can get the latest fans scoops, order team jerseys etc

It has grown so big that nowadays you can take your lass to a stadium without her feeling that you are a cheap skate. Its a cool weekend plan.

So does social media work for brands in Kenya? Yes in a very big way if done correctly, i.e sticking to the essence of socializing and sharing experiences around a brand as opposed to imposing the brand on people.

By the way when it comes to feline swag, the Sofapaka wasichana wa mungu  win hands down. Who do I support? Well, I have not zeroed in but I generalize around gor, mathare and sofapaka. Maybe I should start a GORMAPAKA fans club.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

3 comments:

  1. Insightful! Join me in supporting Mathare United.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A man can divorce his wife, resign from his job, change from his residence, unfriend some of his friends, get a new favourite pub... but a football team is for life.

    No need to be a logo groupie (the people who support the English Premier League teams yet have no affiliation to them.

    Keep it up. Support local. And when playing against Leopards, know I will be on the other side.

    PS. Check out my blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why don't you just go 'out of the boxishly' crazy and support Karate Axiom? Wait! Is it cool to support a hockey team? But hey, 'that's just my opinion' hehehehehe!

    ReplyDelete