Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Akili ni Mali

So there are no colleges or schools in Kenya that teach creative advertising or specialize in stuff like copywriting. So whats the next best thing? Get a mentor, go onto the net and learn what you can or try reading a great book that gives you the bigger picture on the industry.

I remember once while at scanad we were busy asking for training. The company CEO told us "I don't know why you guys always complain while the resources are right there in front of you. I never built this company by going to a training program, I learnt from what was within my reach". He advocated reading and reading hard.

Today I am feeling rather philanthropic so here are some of the books that I have read which provide valuable resources for any creative:


Creative Advertising: Ideas & Techniques from the World Best Campaigns - Mario Pricken

Hey, Whipple, Squeeze this: A guide to creating great ads - Luke Sullivan

Ogilvy on Advertising - David Ogilvy

Cutting Edge Advertising - Jim Aitchison

The Copywriter's Bible


Send someone abroad, talk to a local bookshop that takes orders or put that credit card to use on the net. It's an investment you will not regret.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment