Monday, January 3, 2011

Get Saved, Get Shelved

Lets face it. Getting or staying within the cool ranks in an ad agency is not so much determined by what you know, its who you hang out with and where you range on the cool radar.That's why I think. It is easier for a party animal than a Saved dude to make it as a creative.

I remember once having a conversation with an ad agency MD and some indian expats. The Indian fellas asked what being born again is. The woman erupted as if Lucifer himself had tampered with her bra and went into tantrums talking this and that about Christianity. Now tell me how long would you last in such a place if you were a saved creative?

The other thing to consider is that yes there are cliques in the industry. Take a trip down Lenana Road and see who's having a drink at the Red Sea. Now if those people round the table do not consider you cool, then woiyee unto you.

I am not saying that being a born again creative is not cool, I am just saying that you will have to work twice as hard than a guy who knows where to get some sheep shearer a line of Sonkos money making candy.

Kudos though to those in the game and who are making strides. For example, the point five CD on valley road and I hear quite an upcoming talent who has a name like a french soccer player within the same premisis.

Its the old debate on sometimes whether its really the jobo or the cool factor that will get you further in this industry. Perception vs Portfolio. But lets not forget, being born again is gaining momentum in the cool radar.

Hey, thats just my opinion.

2 comments:

  1. good guys do win. it takes belief in the self and faith in the Almighty. it's a struggle. but the success that the others find easily because of who they know rather than what they know, is short-lived. in the end, it is what you are made of that counts. a good man's fight never goes unfulfiled. others simply fade away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not saved but i honestly believe it's God that makes me creative. Off topic? Well, I just thought I'd mention it.
    In other news, where do creatives hang out these days?

    ReplyDelete