Monday, January 10, 2011

2929..too right!

Zawadi 2929 cash kila siku.. man, I can't seem to get that promotion jingle out of my mind. For once let me just swallow my pride and give a promotion kudos where its due. Those guys got it right. That is one success story and why?

According to me 2929 got the definition of a brand correct. The best definition I ever heard about a brand was : "A brand is how a consumer feels about a product". Now, what Kenyans felt for 2929 is a simple thing, TRUST. They felt 2929 was legit.

Why is it that we felt we could trust 2929?

First of all, Appropriate use of personality. Using OJ, Tanya, Fred Obachi as the presenters was a simple idea yet very effective. Why? How could you not like them? Its easier to warm up to a promotion when you use loved personalities with a sense of humor.

Second. I don't know how they did it but they got the winners to convince us that winning is possible. The woman from western Kenya shouting halleluyah, the guy from garrissa, the maid, etc Note they did not show us boring winners. Edit, edit, edit.

Third. The jingle (as much as I do not advocate jingles) could not stop ringing in your mind. Its number one on my morning shower song list.

Fourth. The winners announcement was made a grand news item. Julie Gichuru on the Sunday news and kina OJ worked it so well, that even I was on my phone wishing I had won.

Fifth.The daily prizes were not over the top but seemingly within reach. Can I see myself winning 500k today? Yes. But when you offer me something that's too much, my mind switches off. 

I can only wonder how Royal Media is laughing all the way to the bank (Not that its their first time, and I can assure you it wont be the last).

Hey, that's my opinion.

1 comment: