Saturday, May 18, 2013

YOU'VE GOT TO TAKE IT PERSONAL





Have you ever had an “I want to bury my head in the sand” moment? Okay, let me tell you what I mean. It’s that moment when you think you have written the greatest ad concept in the world, then you walk into the clients office and when you take one look at the client – you know that things are thick. The cool concept that represents the brand through let’s say something like hip hop is not going to go down well with the guy sitting in front of you; who was the target of constant mockery from cool guys throughout his campus life and whose girlfriend ran away with a rich kid who picked her up with his dads car. 

My Kenyan advertising journey has made me believe that the client has to buy you first, before he buys your concept. You have to do your research on who you are going to present to. Is he a young urban dude who revs at Galileo, is she devoted to weekend service at her local church or is he the kind of dude who is off to shags to check on his rabbit farm every weekend.

Of course you my say that it should never be about personal feelings and the sell should be all about what is best for the brand. Let’s just say that this is easier said than done. One of the things I picked up from presentations from the best of the best in advertising at Cannes was - before you sell your work, get to know your clients personality. You could have an award winner in your Power point presentation, but if it rubs the client’s personality the wrong way, you are in for a shocker.

So what’s the best way of getting to know your client? Simple. Wine, dine, coffee, lunch. Have informal conversations about their business and the ad industry in general. Or even better try and meet the client before you get down to doing their work so you can understand their thinking. Throw in mature off the cuff conversations or some humor so you can get to know how they think. With this in mind you will be more equipped to think like the client.

Have I had my fair share of embarrassing and ill prepared moments? Where do I start? The day I went to present to an insurance company board of directors with an Asian Creative Director not knowing that the team I was presenting to was comprised of high profile GEMA members. Or the time I made political wise cracks at a meeting not knowing that the new head of Marketing was appointed due to political affiliation. The list goes on and on.

So my friend before you attend your next pitch, think way ahead and don't just do your brand research but also do your client research. It may just make the difference between winning the business and have a glorious advertising career or changing plans and venturing into full time greenhouse tomato farming.

But hey, that’s just my opinion.


2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I have read all the articles you've written this year, and I must say for a novice like me in the creative world, I'm impressed. I actually like the Teddy blogging this year. He uses less jargons (one), he is vulnerable and down to earth (two): mwanzo the O Ye Wannabe creative, that's the onest, he is also opened, concerned/caring in very cool mature way (three). The inspiration contrived in the recent posts is even wider than, the Creatives World Plus it's much easier to see the retrospect of 'this world' through yo eyes!

    But hey, that's just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I have read all the articles you've written this year, and I must say for a novice like me in the creative world, I'm impressed. I actually like the Teddy blogging this year. He uses less jargons (one), he is vulnerable and down to earth (two): mwanzo the O Ye Wannabe creative, that's the onest, he is also more, concerned/caring in very cool mature way (three). The inspiration contrived in the recent posts is even wider than, the Creatives World Plus it's much easier to see the retrospect of 'this world' through yo eyes!

    But hey, that's just my opinion

    ReplyDelete