Sunday, December 18, 2011

CONFESSIONS OF A SPOILT CREATIVE

It has been an interesting month for me as I have had to make several adjustments in my life. The biggest one I think has been getting used to using public transport all over again. My car has been in the shop for quite some time getting a well-deserved makeover and I don’t see myself spending Pampers money on using cabs daily. So I got over my rather spoilt self and decided to start javing like a normal Kenyan - and boy am I glad I did it.
I think moving up the ranks spoilt me in a way. I started hanging out exclusively in up-town spots. Is this a good thing for a creative? In a sense yes and in a sense no. Up-towners are great for networking and finding out the inner udakus of the industry. But on the other hand too much up-towning makes you forget what’s going on in the greater world.
You see when you start getting out more, you start getting amazing insights that you will never find behind your desk or on that i-pad. Getting into a mat has taught me what radio stations guys are really hooked up to, it has taught me what ads really get noticed out there, it has taught me what the person I try to communicate with cares about or does not care about.
Couch, google or desktop creativity is a really dangerous thing. In fact, it is not surprising that when most clients see a creative walking into the boardroom, an undercurrent sense of mistrust starts flowing. You see some clients get the jitters and often ponder about the stuff you put in front of them -  "Is this really going to connect with my consumer or is this just another abstract art exhibition to fuel egos at Caribana?"
I believe that creatives can gain client confidence by once in a while coating conversations with small talk about the things they have observed consumers doing. Clients want know that you have sat next to the guy they are trying to sell to in real life – and not just in air conditioned research group rooms. Clients want to know your views on how you saw their consumer interacting with their brands. Clients want you to be their brand spy in a sense. You cannot achieve that by confining your life to an android phone, the Art CafĂ© or your Subaru Legacy.
Ask yourself. How are you going to come up with that great on ground experiential campaign unless you are on ground yourself? How are you going to notice that innovative competitor radio station activation in the city center if you don’t take casual CBD walks? How are you going to come up with that great Kenchic, Coca-Cola or Dettol hand sanitizer idea if you don’t go to a face the wall chips joint at lunchtime? How are you going to notice the potential of that great ZUSHA idea for responsible public service vehicle driving if you don’t sit in a mat? How are you going to learn about mobile phone surfing  if you are not in that City Hopper during rush hour? How are you going to come up with that great safe sex campaign if you don’t observe different walks of shame in tao? How are you going to know what works for rural folk if you don’t hang out with your relas in shags? Catch my drift?
So there you have it folks. If you are a spoilt creative, it’s time to wake up and smell the dirt and smoke. You’ll be amazed at how much inspiration you’ll get. Go on, Get out NOW!
But hey, that’s just my opinion?


1 comment: